Friday, July 26, 2013

A Pilsen kind of day

Wednesday morning I went to the University of West Bohemia Summer Program to visit Charles Hall, Robert Jordan, and several of my students.  I participated in Charles' class and stayed for Robert's.  Later Gabi showed up with Reginald, and (lo and behold), one of Reginald's former students from MUS was in the class!  We toured the campus and looked especially at the new art building--an open spaced an modern edifice that includes not only art but fashion design and show design!  Evidently, there are sometimes live models, but we did not see any.  We left to see Gabi's office, which is located closer to downtown in a new building (actually an old building, but new for them).  There is a market next to it, so we bought a few fruits and vegetables.  I noticed a monument to the American forces of WWII nearby. Pilsen was liberated by the Americans, and the people here are still thankful.

We came back to Gabi's apartment for lunch.  Afterward, we took the tram to downtown to visit Pilsen and make a special trip to the Jewish Synagogue, which often houses exhibitions.  The one we saw was by Karel Steiner, a Czech who moved to the US and eventually to Paris. 

That evening we ate outside in the Kleckova perogola.  We had invited Gabi's mother, Vera, and her cousin, Jacob, who visited us in the US years ago.  We made turkey kabobs and grilled them.  I very nice evening!


No comments:

Post a Comment