Friday, July 12, 2013

Anniversary and other special events



 Wednesday, July 10, marked the 42nd anniversary of the Dalle-Sprouls.  We wanted something special for that day, so the nice folks spending time with us decided to offer us an anniversary dinner.  First, though, we had to take Sandy to the train station and then take Reginald’s car back to Pinneau’s.  I kept mine, which we will use to go to the Dordogne.  Then we shopped at Carrefour for shrimp and other goodies.  Lunch was a simple meal of quiche, pizza, cold cuts, and cheese.  Each then had an afternoon to his or her own.  I read and napped by the pool, and Gabi read and sunbathed there.  I am not sure what held the others’ interest, but I did not see anyone until later.  The kitchen then became a busy place!  Dan worked on his barbecued shrimp while Gabi made a Greek salad and her special orange slices, red onion, salt and pepper appetizer.  We also put some escargots in the oven.  Dinner was taken again in the back, so we did not miss one single minute of the cow parade!  It was lovely, and I thank my good friends.

Thursday was leaving day.  Gabi, Vicki, and Dan all left on the 10:05 from Chemille.  Gabi was headed to CDG to take the plane to Prague, and the others were going to Paris for two days.  Reginald and I left a little after 11 for Angouleme to visit Edwige and Claude.  We had a very nice afternoon there, and I took advantage of the warm weather and their nice pool.  We had dinner outside—fois gras, poulet en paupiette, ratatouille, and some of their own cherries for dessert.  Such a nice couple!

Friday we needed to get to La Rocque Gageac by 5, but I wanted to leave as soon as possible, so we parted company, said our good-byes, and headed out.  We were in La Rocque by 1:30, where we picnicked and did some people watching while visiting the small village.  We tried twice to get into the house, but the cleaning people were there, so we sat at a café, walked, and then finally decided to go to Sarlat for gas and provisions.  We returned around 4:45 and finally got into the house.

It is lovely and unique.  You have to walk up some steep steps to get to it, and it sits on three levels next to a path that leads to a church.  There are also some shops along the way with specialties from the area.  We are in the basement bedroom (two here with a hall bath we share).  There are two more on the upper floor also.  On the ground floor is a large kitchen, a big salon with fireplace, and an outside patio under a grapevine. 

Reservations were at 7:30 at the Belle Etoile restaurant just down the hill.  There we had an incredible meal.  Each ordered something different, but I had monkfish appetizer and cod for the main course.  I find fish refreshing and light.  That left room for the vacherin dessert of sorbet over meringue and fresh berries.  It was a great success.  Now we will see what adventures await, but first we must try to retrieve Sally’s suitcase!

No comments:

Post a Comment